This is known as heme, it's part of hemoglobin. I'm confused as the image below has both multiple carbon ring chains, alcohol (OH), and a pi bonded oxygen. Is there a specific name for this or would it be

enter image description here

  • $\begingroup$ The concept of functional groups ceases to be useful long before you are supposed to look at this. $\endgroup$ – Ivan Neretin Jan 10 at 17:14
  • $\begingroup$ I need it for my project :/ prob why I can't find anything about it. Is there a family name that I can at least go by? $\endgroup$ – Alp Tatar Jan 10 at 17:29
  • $\begingroup$ You mean, like "alkene", "acid", or "aldehyde"? We don't use those either, except for relatively simple compounds. $\endgroup$ – Ivan Neretin Jan 10 at 17:33
  • $\begingroup$ Yeah :/ prob why, since I'm only taking grade 12 chem ap and basically need to name specific compounds that are being tested. My teacher gave me this compound and I didn't realize how difficult it would be. Oh well I'll just refer to it as heme $\endgroup$ – Alp Tatar Jan 10 at 17:40
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Heme is a @porphyrin :) $\endgroup$ – Alchimista Jan 10 at 18:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.