0
$\begingroup$

While working with some rust converter (MSDS, ~20% phosphoric acid by weight), a sequence of events that would make Rube Goldberg proud led to me spilling about 500mL of it all over the place. Yes I was wearing gloves and an acid gas respirator.

I'm not really well versed in chemical cleanup procedures and I needed to act fast so I kind of winged it by:

  1. Wiping the majority with a bath towel.
  2. There happened to be a box of baking soda right there so I dumped a bunch of it on the remaining spill.
  3. It fizzed for a bit then I wiped that up.
  4. I shop-vac'd the rest of the baking soda.

My question is just: Did I handle that OK? And, if not, how should I be prepared if that happens again? (I've been working with the chemical a lot lately.)

The reason I ask is, when I took off my respirator, it still smells like rust converter.

Also, it just happened so I won't be able to see any effects for a few hours but I'm hoping I don't start seeing rust spots on the metals it contacted, or dried crystals, or tear up any of the finish on the wood it contacted. But I'm hoping I got it.

Also, there are cats here and I don't really want residue to be left laying around.

So I'm wondering if that was a decent reaction, or if it was dangerous (I dunno what phosphoric acid + baking soda produces, although the space was well ventilated); and if it was effective, or if there is a better way.

Context is home shop, primarily woodworking; not a lab. So I don't have those nice metal lab tables or anything; lots of cracks, crevices, porous surfaces (concrete and wood), and stuff. And while I normally work with this stuff on a tray for small splash containment, this was a rather... violent spill (heh).

$\endgroup$
3
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Don't panic. Phosphoric acid is one of the components of Coca-Cola, so it is not poisonous by itself. Avoiding contact to high concentrations should keep you save. $\endgroup$ – Gyro Gearloose Jan 9 at 15:21
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ You did well. I'd add a solution of baking soda, just to chase the last traces of acid in all those cracks and crevices. On a side note, phosphoric acid by itself does not smell. $\endgroup$ – Ivan Neretin Jan 9 at 15:45
  • $\begingroup$ @ivan Ah must be something else. I think it's the smell after it reacts with iron because it's definitely common to rust remover and converter products. It's sort of like metallic fruit. I find it nauseating. $\endgroup$ – Jason C Jan 9 at 18:05
1
$\begingroup$

The product you were using is very likely a "rust converter". Used to convert rust to a stable products before painting . I have used it several times , usually I just rinse the surface , let it dry and paint . It is also used for industrial maintenance coating of poorly prepared surfaces ( those not sand blasted). That is ;it is commonly used and when I worked with coatings I never heard of a problem. Baking soda will neutralize it . I once inspected super phos storage tanks : it starts as 107 % phosphoric acid used to blend liquid fertilizers. When I stepped out of the tank and walked across the limestone gravel ,each step of the rubber boots left some jelly-like acid which foamed on the gravel. The people that worked at the facility thought nothing of it; from that I conclude neutralized phos acid it not a problem . Sorry this is all anecdotal ,but I have never needed to research the situation.

$\endgroup$
2
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ "It is also used for industrial maintenance coating of poorly prepared surfaces ( those not sand blasted). " ... my dentist uses it, too, thankfully not sandblasting my teeth. $\endgroup$ – Gyro Gearloose Jan 9 at 18:29
  • $\begingroup$ Anectodal + retired metallurgical engineer + lack of immediate "you've made a terrible mistake" answers = good enough! Thanks. $\endgroup$ – Jason C Jan 9 at 18:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.