I am looking for any liquid that does not dissolve in water with higher density and does not react with water, one that is readily available.


closed as too broad by Jan, Todd Minehardt, hBy2Py, Klaus-Dieter Warzecha, M.A.R. Mar 2 '17 at 13:55

Please edit the question to limit it to a specific problem with enough detail to identify an adequate answer. Avoid asking multiple distinct questions at once. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • $\begingroup$ Possibly a duplicate (at least in intent) of: chemistry.stackexchange.com/questions/641/… $\endgroup$ – Aesin Jul 8 '14 at 16:24
  • $\begingroup$ of course not ? $\endgroup$ – user7063 Jul 8 '14 at 16:37
  • $\begingroup$ yes i too think that this question is not similar to the question you qouted $\endgroup$ – agha rehan abbas Jul 8 '14 at 16:52
  • $\begingroup$ @user7063: Apologies, I leaped to conclusions about why you were asking for what you were. $\endgroup$ – Aesin Jul 8 '14 at 17:24
  • $\begingroup$ The first solvents that come to my mind are $\ce{CH2Cl2}$, $\ce{CHCl3}$, and $\ce{CCl4}$. $\endgroup$ – Klaus-Dieter Warzecha Mar 2 '17 at 7:31

Trichloroethylene is a common chemical solvent that has reasonably low toxicity, it has density ~1.5 g/ml. However, it slowly becomes restricted. Tetrachloroethylene also may be considered. Dichlormethan has reasonably low toxicity, but its BP is too low. I would not use the liquids mentioned without fume hood on regular basis. One-time exposure is probably OK, but repeating exposure may lead to cancer. Chloroform may be considered, but I recommend to avoid it, it has accumulating liver toxicity. Tetrachloromethane should be avoided, it also has undesired toxicity.

Mercury MAY be considered, it is toxic if one is repeatedly exposed to vapours, but has very low vapour pressure and is reasonably cheap. But it has annoying tendency to produce small drops that are very hard to collect and move into smallest holes and accumulates in the system, so it clearly requires dedicated workplace.

Liquids mentioned above are reasonably cheap, so if they are not restricted in your home country, you should be able to allow yourself one. Unfortunately, that's all ideas I got. Well, there are some more, but they either has unreasonable cost, or are too toxic. Bromine, for example, is toxic and, though not mixing with water, partially dissolves in it.

  • 3
    $\begingroup$ Wikipedia has a list at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_liquid including some comments on toxicity. Not worth an answer since it was a simple search. $\endgroup$ – Jon Custer Jul 8 '14 at 18:37
  • $\begingroup$ Thanks for the response. The easiest way i observe is to use salt water and fresh water ,i would like to confirm if they are shake proof.Even if i shake the bottle the two liquids would not mix. The list has some liquids which interest me. I would like to know if they would not mix or react with water and if they are easily available for me to use. For eg Clerici solution. Thanks $\endgroup$ – user7063 Jul 8 '14 at 18:50
  • $\begingroup$ Salt water and fresh water obviously mixes well. No offence, but if you plan to play with toxic chemical you need at least some basic chemical knowledge. $\endgroup$ – Greg Jul 8 '14 at 19:24
  • $\begingroup$ @user7063 I strongly encourage to drop the list from Wiki. It includes mostly rare and toxic chemicals and solutions of rare and toxic salts in water. The chemicals I listed are cheap and relatively safe, I worked with them and still alive and healthy. $\endgroup$ – permeakra Jul 8 '14 at 20:08
  • $\begingroup$ @user7063 Actually, if you need a liquid that does not mix with water, it is much easier to use one that has lower density than water. Toluene, gasoline, oil, hexane are well known examples that are relatively safe. $\endgroup$ – permeakra Jul 8 '14 at 20:11

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.