I just read an experiment in which mercury has to be heated and in the same experiment there was a note warning not to inhale mercury vapors as they are very harmful.

I just can't get the point that why are mercury vapors harmful.

  • 2
    $\begingroup$ Did you read wikipedia article on mercury poisoning? $\endgroup$
    – permeakra
    Jun 30, 2014 at 8:37

1 Answer 1


Mercury poisoning (also known as hydrargyria or mercurialism) is type of metal poisoning and a medical condition caused by exposure to mercury or its compounds. Mercury (chemical symbol $\ce{Hg}$) is a heavy metal occurring in several forms, all of which can produce toxic effects in high enough doses. Its zero oxidation state $\ce{Hg^0}$ exists as vapour or as liquid metal, its mercurous state $\ce{Hg2^{2+}}$ exists as inorganic salts, and its mercuric state $\ce{Hg^{2+}}$ may form either inorganic salts or organo-mercury compounds; the three groups vary in effects. Toxic effects include damage to the brain, kidneys and lungs.

Mercury poisoning can result in several diseases, including acrodynia (pink disease) and Minamata disease.

source wikipedia

  • 4
    $\begingroup$ @agharehanabbas Please do not copy a source verbatim without quoting the text and without a proper citation. Plagiarism will not be tolerated. $\endgroup$
    – jonsca
    Jun 30, 2014 at 10:26
  • $\begingroup$ ok i wil look at it on my further posts $\endgroup$ Jun 30, 2014 at 15:25
  • $\begingroup$ You can edit your answer to include a reference. $\endgroup$ Jul 1, 2014 at 4:37
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @jonsca i have edited my answer and added my source to it $\endgroup$ Jul 1, 2014 at 13:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.