When performing electrolysis at home, I usually used salt water as electrolyte. The problem is, that this method also produces chlorine and chlorine is aggressive to both humans and electrical equipment.
I was thinking of creating pure hydrogen and oxygen by using distilled water. I was taught that water is not conductive.
But since water has "positive" and "negative" part (which allows for it to dissolve polar bonds, doesn't it?). Couldn't I just tear the molecules apart if I use electrical field strong enough? If I can, how high the voltage must be?