Alkenes can be described by E/Z nomenclature and cis/trans nomenclature.

However, is there a way to name alkene conformations which are monosubstituted? For example, how could one describe the difference between the following conformations?

Any suggestions are welcome, even if they aren't IUPAC accepted -- I would just like to hear what the community thinks would be a good way to differentiate these type of structures.

enter image description here

  • $\begingroup$ Huh, you mean like s-cis / s-trans? $\endgroup$
    – Mithoron
    May 12, 2020 at 23:14
  • $\begingroup$ Awesome thanks! It slipped my mind. Should I delete the question? $\endgroup$
    – Cody Aldaz
    May 12, 2020 at 23:16
  • 3
    $\begingroup$ Only if you want, perhaps there more to be added ,or this can work as sort of redirect. Duplicates are often useful. $\endgroup$
    – Mithoron
    May 13, 2020 at 0:14


Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.