I've noticed that in most papers the interlayer binding energy is given in units of meV/Ų. But how do I get these units? Do I divide the interlayer binding energy I get by the area of my unit cell?

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ I'm not sure how area of unit cell is relevant here, normally it's just contact surface area. Also, it looks like the title asks to convert something to meV/Ų, what is it, exactly? Or your question is solely the physical meaning of meV/Ų? $\endgroup$ – andselisk Oct 31 '19 at 11:04
  • $\begingroup$ Typography tip: get to know compose key, which allows to almost instantly type a lot of Unicode symbols with a standard US-keyboard. Linux and macOS typically offer this out of the box, for Windows there is WinCompose: to insert an Ångström symbol, I type Meta + o + A (I assigned Meta to the right Alt key) and get Å. Similar for umlauts Meta + " + oö. $\endgroup$ – andselisk Oct 31 '19 at 11:08
  • $\begingroup$ @andselisk Sorry, I meant the contact surface area I guess. So if I had $\vec{a}$ = (3, 0, 0), $\vec{b}$ = (1, 2, 0) and $\vec{c}$ = (0, 0, 3) for unit cell vectors, the contact surface area would be the area spanned by $\vec{a}$ and $\vec{b}$, right? $\endgroup$ – DykFlint Oct 31 '19 at 12:24
  • $\begingroup$ Yes, that would make sense to me. $\endgroup$ – andselisk Oct 31 '19 at 14:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.