I'm wondering if there is a word for describing the limit of how much an item can absorb water. Like if the absorption rate (my words) for a towel would be 20 and the absorption rate for toilet paper would be 5. Can someone tell me if there is a word for that?

  • $\begingroup$ I think the word is Absorbency. $\endgroup$ – Mathew Mahindaratne Apr 20 at 2:46
  • $\begingroup$ Maybe hydrophilicity or hygroscopicity? Also, if you need a reference source to quote, feel free to add a "reference-request" tag. $\endgroup$ – andselisk Apr 20 at 2:57
  • $\begingroup$ Plus capillarity and structure among the causes for absorbing (either more V or faster).For a name your absorption rate seems at least intelligible. $\endgroup$ – Alchimista Apr 20 at 7:22
  • $\begingroup$ American Society of Testing Materials 9ASTM) calls it Water Absorption Test intertek.com/polymers/testlopedia/water-absorption-astm-d570, why should we coin a new word when simple words can easily describe the idea :-) $\endgroup$ – M. Farooq Apr 20 at 14:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.