I became quite confused about Jacobi coordinates. Until now I've been used to them as the coordinate system, where coordinates are vectors pointing to the center of mass of previous "subsystem", as we can see in the picture

enter image description here

Also, they're described in the same way in the Wikipedia.

But today I've met two colleagues, who were talking about Jacobi coordinates in 3-atomic system as about "vector-vector-angle", looking like this

enter image description here

with descriptor set being $\left(R,r,\cos^2(\Theta)\right)$.

Is this coordinate system also called Jacobi coordinates? And if it isn't, what's its real name?


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.