1
$\begingroup$

Especially the sparks that result when using them. I heard this from a friend and can't seem to find an answer on Google.

$\endgroup$
2
$\begingroup$

The "flint" in disposable lighters is made of pyrophoric alloy called "ferrocerium", which consists of approx. 50% cerium, 25% lanthanum and 20% iron; the remaining 5% is magnesium, neodymium and praseodymium. Exact composition may vary depending on the manufacturer.

If you rub such an alloy on a rough surface, tiny metal particles are formed, which are instantly ignited and produce metal oxides. Neither of the expected products are particularly toxic: lanthanoid oxides, particularly $\ce{CeO2}$ and $\ce{La2O3}$, are not toxic and can only cause mild irritation when swallowed, and iron oxide $\ce{Fe3O4}$ is basically rust.

To sum it up, unless you are allergic to transition metals (which people usually discover very early), I cannot think of any health hazards coming from the "flint" or the sparks.

$\endgroup$

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.