What's the process called where you can use electricity to separate the oxygen and hydrogen from water? Is it electrolysis? Can it be applied to other liquids?


1 Answer 1


Problem in your question: should be be O and H, because $\ce{H2O}$ (water) is made of H (Hydrogen) and O (Oxygen). $\ce{CO2}$ is carbon dioxide, for reference.

And yes, electrolysis can be performed on many compounds, not just water.

An electrolytic reaction is where an electric current is used to drive an otherwise non-spontaneous chemical reaction. Splitting water is just one of such reactions.

You can read more here.

  • $\begingroup$ When I was younger I went to the Science Center in Toronto (about 1975 I think) and there was an exhibit about Electolysis showing the splitting water phenomenon (Ithink) BUT they also had a part of the exhibit that could take some oxygen and hydrogen and somehow re-integrate them into H2O (without any minerals or additives in it). A kind of REVERSE ELECTROLYSIS, is there such a process? Did the Science Centre in Toronto have such an exhibit in the mid-70's? $\endgroup$
    – user128932
    Commented May 10, 2014 at 6:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.