Here's a pic of the molecule:

enter image description here

I've been investigating this system to test a computational chem method, but I've realized I don't really know a name for this system. $I-pyr_2$? $py_2I$?

In my mind I call it "pip" for pyridine-I-pyridine, but I don't want to publish and look silly finding out this has a common non-systematic name later (ex: quinine, caffeine, etc).

I'm not worried about getting an IUPAC name exactly right, becuase nobody actually does that. But if there's a more common way of calling it, that's what I want.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ You understand it would need to be cation? $\endgroup$ – Mithoron Aug 2 '18 at 17:06
  • $\begingroup$ Yes it's a cation, but the stability isn't relevant here. I'm using it to benchmark computational methods, not use in a lab experiment $\endgroup$ – iammax Aug 2 '18 at 17:08
  • 3
    $\begingroup$ Ok, more stable then I suspected: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/… $\endgroup$ – Mithoron Aug 2 '18 at 17:09
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ There are plenty of databases that can be searched for that compound. ChemSpider and PubChem are only the top two choices. And then there is google ... Also you failed to specify a charge (or state whether it is neutral). You shouldn't worry about looking stupid when publishing, you should worry about looking stupid in the peer review process. If you're unable to name a molecule, it won't get published anyway. $\endgroup$ – Martin - マーチン Aug 2 '18 at 17:10
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ Please also see our guidelines on how to ask and answer nomenclature questions. $\endgroup$ – Martin - マーチン Aug 2 '18 at 18:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.