Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chemistry Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for scientists, academics, teachers and students. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am creating Class 6 HDPE cutting boards, with some added features to it, so that they are not only definable as my creations, but in doing so I will carve some things into the back or front of the board, this leaves me with an integrity issue.

I am looking to fix these integrity issues by using a plastic clear molding that will adhere to the HDPE, but I am fining that not much will…

Is there an HDPE resin that will work the same way, or is there other material that will do the same, and adhere either as a bonding agent, to seal the HDPE where I have cut into it?

One caveat, I need it to be clear, and a class 6 material, so it will show that the markings that I made into the sheet originally, and be FDA approvable.


share|improve this question
Could you provide a link to the specifications required of a class 6 material? I am unfamiliar with the term. It would help folks know where to start in answering your question. –  Ben Norris Nov 10 '12 at 19:23
professionalplastics.com/USPClassVIApprovedPlasticMaterials. Here you go. Class 6 is for chemical and food safety. –  Matt Ridge Nov 11 '12 at 0:51
I was hoping for something, perhaps actually from USP, that describes the what makes a material class VI and how it is tested. –  Ben Norris Nov 11 '12 at 1:15
Actually, what I was hoping for was this: pharmacopeia.cn/v29240/usp29nf24s0_c88.html, which details how the classes are determined. –  Ben Norris Nov 11 '12 at 1:26
Sorry, I'm actually on the road now so I don't have access to my normal links. –  Matt Ridge Nov 11 '12 at 2:04

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.